Saturday, March 30, 2013

a day without time

Last night I read this:

Imagine the world devoid of human life, inhabited only by plants and animals. would it still have a sense of past and future? Could we still speak of time in any meaningful way? The questions "What is the time?"  or "What's the date today?" - if anyone were to ask it- would be quite meaningless. The oak tree or the eagle would be bemused by such a questions. "What time?" they would ask. "Well, of course it's now. The time is now. What else is there?" 
From Eckhart Tolle, the Power of Now

It struck me how imprisoning time is. I constantly, almost unconsciously, look at the clock. I structure our day around it, eat around it, sleep around it. And the truth is: human time is a myth, we created it, completely. And it can rule our lives. 
So today I decided we would do without it.
I took the clock down from the wall and turned off my radio alarm clock and I made a conscious effort not to look at the time on my phone or computer all day. And without the time; those 12 hours, those 60 minutes, those 60 seconds, today we had all the time in the world and it was glorious.
A day without time:
 we had time to make spelt bread with enough dough left over to make mini pizza's for lunch
Joa claims his was especially good :-)


there was time for knitting outdoors in the spring sunshine

there was time to gaze at the soft clouds in the high blue sky
there was time for chalk drawing on the drive way

there was time to tidy the children's book shelf
there was time for enjoying and slowly cooking dinner
there was time for lounging
there was time for tidying the garden (although I did have help mowing the lawn)
and there was time for 3 loads of washing (which then I took my time to put away)

I still, as I sit here, don't know what time it is. The kids are in bed, Joa sleeping after a bump to the head and Rebe and Benny tucked up together listening to a story on cd. I think there is still a little time in the evening for the easter bunny to hide the tiny chocolate eggs, time for a bit of knitting and time for a bath.

It was lovely, this day without time. You should try it :-)

9 comments:

  1. How interesting, I have just found out about Eckhart Tolle, I am reading "A new Earth" now, yes not following time is a good thing. cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will be reading more of his work too x

      Delete
  2. Oh you have hit on my favourite discussion point ... life without time - timeless time - I lvoe it. I banished my clock to the hall where we cannot see it from any other room because one day when the batteries stopped and I had no more or no money to buy more I became painfully aware of how often I looked at it and how it constricted our lives. We once camped in Sicily and not using phones or any other time keeing equipment we went by sunrise and sunset only. That was bliss. I have often said to people 'imagine if we ran away to a community in the deep countryside where we were self sufficient enough to not need to leave very often. If we shared skills and educated our own children and grew our food and produced our power we would have no need for interaction with a world that keeps time, we would not need a calendar. We could simply do as was always meant - use the sun and the changing seasons for guides, let our diurnal cores, instincts and biorhythms take centre stage once more.' That is the world I would like to live in. Maybe one day. Glad you have pondered on this concept too. Life elongates when we ditch time and 'time' passes so quickly it scares me, we would be better off without. Much love X X X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi rose, that community sounds perfect, exactly the way we are meant to live, by allowing the imposition of these constructed constraints we block ourselves from listening to and hearing what we really need from life. very liberating experience and thanks for sharing yours x

      Delete
  3. This is so true, life is ruled so much by time. What a lovely idea. I am so aware that our daily routine is very much governed by watching the clock, when we have lunch, when we walk the dog, etc. This sounds so relaxing will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do give it a go, it was a beautifully relaxed day and something we shall do more often x

      Delete
  4. Hi, I have just re-read the power of now, and I am seeing time in a different light too, slowing down and enjoying the moment. My kids have been out chalking too!!! We are having a run of beautiful, sunny, still days, and today I sat out, as it felt so warm. Love your pics xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :-) i love these little glimpses and insights that this book (and other's) give me into how to release myself from unnecessary shackles and be free to just live :-)

      Delete
  5. Looks like a wonderful day!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete