Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Buddies ~ spoon puppets

***In September 2011 6 families got together and started Buddies Home School. Each week we meet in each other's home and follow a simple rhythm: movement and music, craft/ baking, snack time, free play and story time. Each part of the session is led by a different family. We are sharing this week's session with you here...***

We had a full house again this week with all families being able to make it, and I think that nearly no-one cried!! We practiced our Irish songs again this week and added 2 new ones including Happy Birthday in Irish! I love this, learning songs in Irish, I don't know where else I would have the opportunity to learn it, I do feel very lucky to be in a group with Irish speakers who are willing to teach us a little.

For this weeks craft I did wooden spoon puppets. I posted a tutorial here, rather than taking up the whole post.


They came out so well and the kids really enjoyed sewing with needle and thread again. All their little heads bent in concentration.

We're always surprised how capable our children are and watching them carefully, carefully sewing with real sharp needles was really special and certainly made my heart swell with love and pride.


One of the things I enjoyed most about this craft was watching their reaction to having made themselves a real, proper toy and hearing what they called them...if I remember they are called...
Benny, Mr Noisy, Beepa, Siobhan, Nina (oh blast I can't remember the other 2) but that was so funny and sweet!

It was warm inside today so the kids rushed outside to run about there in the breeze and squalls and splash in the puddles.

Of course there was still sometime for quietly just being special friends:

Zoe read us this story today:

It was really great, the illustrations were beautiful and there was much humour in it. I think we all agreed that paying someone to build your house with peanut butter sandwiches was a pretty good idea!

Just time to clean up a little before coats on and heading home :-)

1 comment:

  1. I want a house made from peanut butter sandwiches! Such a lovely dynamic you have going here, really makes me wish the idea of HE had gone a little further in our household. Much love x

    ReplyDelete