Tuesday, December 21, 2010

christmassy goings on

Gosh it feels like it's been ages since I've been here. Things have just been pretty busy.
More than anything though things have been pretty manic. Rebe is in a whirl wind of excitement. She's been waking up very early every morning and waking the boys with her, and then just bouncing off the walls all day long. It's been pretty hard work to be honest, especially when I'm fairly sleep deprived....still there have been some lovely moments lately too.

Rebe's school had their Nativity play on Sunday in the church. Her class were the stars, and they each had a little line to say. Rebe belted hers out so loud and she was so proud to be part of it. They sang a really sweet song too with a little dance and I admit it, yes I had a wee cry (Oh god I'm such a mummy!!). This is a bit of a blurry picture but I love it because it really captures the twinkle in her eye.

Another success was/ is (I haven't eaten it all yet lol) this Christmas bread...

It is unbelievable, and therefore I'll share the recipe...

1 large egg beaten
1/2 cup orange juice
3 tbsp veg oil
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 cup plain flour
4 tbsp crystallised ginger
1 cup cranberries coarsely chopped

Mix wet ingredients then add dry and mix in cranberries. Don't over mix. I put mine in a loaf tin and baked it until you could put in a knife and it comes out clean.

I'm afraid I can't credit this cake anywhere as I can't remember where I found the recipe, but you simply HAVE to make it!!

Still on food; we had chicken pie last night and the kids made their own pastry shapes. I find a little fun with dinner always helps it to go down a little better.

As well as being winter solstice today there was also a lunar eclipse that we could see perfectly from the children's window this morning...



It was really amazing!
I have just about finished all my Christmas gifts now. I only need to get together a few wee things to put in our crackers. I have been putting off finishing Joa's mobile, but yesterday when I was out for a stroll with Benny I found the perfect branch (sneaked from my neighbours garden). So I finished it last night and I love it.



My three little Angels flying amongst the stars.
Joa


Benny (and his strawberry-berry hat)

I'm so pleased with how it came out. It will hang in the children's room.
Hope you all have a wonderful winter solstice, hugs x

5 comments:

  1. Hello, thanks for visiting my blog and your lovely comments. Another star in the nativity, so sweet aren't they at that age.
    Your mobile is very lovely, I'm sure it will be well loved.

    Winter blessings x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I adore your mobile, what a beautiful thing to cherish over the years, you are so clever! i will be trying that recipe out tomorrow, it looks delicious! And thanks for the crackers recipe, I will also be baking them tomorrow, yummy! It was too cloudy here to see the lunar eclipse, but the pictures of it online have almost made up for it.
    Looking forward to burning our yule log later, hope you have a lovely warm solstice where you are, Christmas blessings to you all, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. What yummy gorgeousness. Looking forward to baking that bread- I love ANYTHING with cardamom in, probably even cardamom poo!

    Love the mobile too, have definite crafting envy! Our Xmas preparations etc stalled more than a week ago, it's just been one person after another puking! I had to miss Timmy's nativity last night I was so sick. Bummer! Ditto solstice! Ah well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVELOVELOVE the mobile, Laura! Oh gosh, it is perfect, and the branch is perfect too! What did it come off of? I am not sure I've seen one that cool!
    I love the twinkle in Rebe's eye too- the little monster, waking everyone up! Good thing she's so cute. . . any way our Ollie is the one who wakes early and wakes everyone else up. No matter what we say, this is what he does. It really can be so frustrating. . .
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dawn, nice to meet you too :-)
    Liz: enjoy the bread and crackers x
    Lucy: I'm a massive cardamom fan too, I used have a pod floating in my tea when I was in my last few years at school, and it just IS Zanzibar for me.
    Melanie: I bet in future years when they're teenagers it'll be Ollie and Rebe that we can't shift out of bed! I think the branch is from an Alder, It's just what I had in mind but to actually be able to find one... :-)

    ReplyDelete